Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pls dun read halfway fall asleep

“A problem is defined as it is only when one has the intent to solve it” – Sunny’s Definition

Here’s my problem:
For years I am clear of where I want to go and how I want to go, I am also one who’s decision is affected by ‘signs’, and that is the factor that is causing my current dilemma. First let me point out some variables that you might want to consider if you want to disregard my sensitivity towards the environment mentioned above. One, Like many other graduates, we are entering the next phase of our lives, and that might have opened my subconscious mind towards the possible routes that I might want to pursue, especially those of social norms, including entering the workforce, or furthering my studies. Two, I’m not as mentally determined as I used to be.

(I feel that this will be one of those posts where I write write write, then I give myself an answer. Haha! Alright, don’t get put off, I would still want comments and at the end everything will be serve as a reminder, source of advice for myself and everybody.)

Anyhoo, yeah sources from all directions are hinting me to go against what I’ve planned. The worst part, I could easily shut my ears towards people trying to convince me to go against my convictions, but these are mostly from 3rd party comments, or friends sharing their thoughts, which generally I would listen with an open mind. Well, of course as with anything, there are pros and cons. Employee or employer? NTU or Social U? From a book, which ironically supposed to be motivational, mentioned that we should have a job that will help us reach our goal, as most business fail because of their owner’s lack of experience, lack of working capital and other uncontrollable factors. Naturally, some questions surfaced, posted to myself and to challenge. What skills do I need? What have I learnt so far? Where then can I learn? School? As an employee or employer? What are the advantages of each? Then when is then considered to have suffice skills to realize my dreams? Can’t then I learn while I’m the process of living my dream? Make sense?

Wanting to collect more opinions vis-à-vis my own, I’ve asked some of my friends from different backgrounds, poly grads, uni grads working in banks to super big shot millionaires I’ve met in my daily life on the same questions above. Well, much of an expected result, their opinion came from their goal and tolerance for risks for reaching that goal. Unsatisfied with their biased answers, I did my fair share of reflection based on my past experience and future actions and came up with my fair share of biased opinions.

Especially true for those who wanna be business starters, after years of education and with potentially more, we all have at a point of time questioned ourselves of our knowledge and their industrial relevance. BOCTAOE. Unlike finance, engineering or biotechnology, which require constant applications of fixed formulas, marketing like IT, is a subject that requires constant innovation and constant learning to gain competitive advantage. Admit it, how many models can we recall? The guy who drew 5 squares and made millions is simply making an observation, making a relation, putting them down on paper, and making a big hype over it. However for years, business owners have figured that out, without coming across the Porter’s Five Forces model. Even my mom who has a hair saloon understands the concept of threats, rivalry and bargaining powers. Furthermore, go through any marketing text, isn’t it very much self explanatory?

My friends who are in universities claimed that the advantages of studying in university includes opportunities for networking and develops critical thinking. My argument is that would a scholar from West Point be able to lead as well as a soldier that has been on the battlefield for a year? Would a 15 year old boy become the next Beckham by reading widely on how to improve his soccer skills? A good lover you will become if you have a collection of 1-50 ways to improve your love life? Of course, you can rebut by saying that we some just have the ingredient of natural talent, but I believe that proficiency comes from confidence and confidence is developed through experience. And the base necessary for one to develop any attributes above, courage. Then again, there are many many factors that I believe that will affect the success of your personal goal, but it hell takes a lot of courage, determination and commitment. 1 percent talent, 99 percent perspiration. Relating back to marketing, if want to network, rather to network in the industry right? Focused targeting! Go uni your best friend might still end up at some lan jiao jobs lo…

However, marketing isn’t the only function of a business. Without proper finance sensitivity, a business might disintegrate internally even though on the surface it’s doing well. That might be a course I will pursue if I were to further my studies.

Another friend of mine then list out the advantages of working and how it can benefit a future business owner, and I have to agree to him to some extend. Again, networking was mentioned when we get to meet clients, we get to know how business works, and we will have chances to engage in projects. Even so, my only concern is that I might get to comfortable as an employee and some other reasons that were mentioned in my previous posts. Working in a global company has taught me a lot even though my learning curve by now has decreased in its growth rate. Its comprehensive system and their focus on communicating their vision has made them a success across borders, and infused themselves in a global culture. Luckily, my personality has made it easier to meet people, the right people; which I’m glad I have. I have taken my first step.

Second step: Within 2.5years, to become a guru and educate myself in areas of marketing, finance and operations.

Third step: Start my first small business, take it slow. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time that is. I know it will be a critical learning point.

Fourth step: Expected to be initiated after the fourth year from now. Diversify and from then on, I know I will be able to focus on my greater goal: my family. Expected completion date: 2014.

S pecific
M easurable
A ttainable
R ealistic
T ime specific

Hmm…do need to refine my goals isn’t it? Not specific, not measurable. Haha! Finally I find something I learnt from school useful. Well then, hope you guys can write me some comments on what you personally feel. There’s no right or wrong answers. It late and I freaking need to work tomorrow morning. Sianz. Tido time!

For pot, peace and love

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home