Thursday, October 27, 2005

Never fails to amaze me

"姜女寻夫"
天边消息实难思,切莫多心望强求;
若把石头磨作镜,曾知枉费己工夫。

Got a hard knock on the head today and I finally can completely relate to the following: as much as change is important to pursue success, the level hard work, commitment, persistence and vision should very much remain status quo.

The next semester is starting soon and I thought it might be good to look for some divine help. Get some advice and stuff. And my answer lies within the above phrase from a Chinese folk legend.

Rough translation: Do not heed and brood over news from afar; one will be wasting his efforts trying to polish a stone into mirror.
Meaning: No matter how hard you try, your efforts will be wasted. Stick to your old ways.

When I thought it was trying to tell me that I’m gonna have a rough sem ahead, it just doesn’t make much sense. Stick to the old ways? So on second thoughts on possibilities, everything made sense. I guess all these while I’ve been trying too much to read into the future, through that, hoping that I’ll get a shortcut or an easier way out of some sort. A real smack in the head today.

We as creations of the higher ups, have the power to mould our future. Like for example if you are given the potential to morph into a Raichu, that doesn’t mean we’ll all get there. Slackers don’t have to chance to go above Pichu. People whom at least take the effort, could morph into Pikachu and who understands their potential and is willing to walk over fire to get there, will eventually become what they are made to be. That means, you can’t skip a level, and neither could you morph into Mew, and you can’t get freebies unless you search for it.

Of course the higher ups are watching you, and I believe that many of you out there have gotten connections of them trying to say, “hey you dwab, I’m trying to help here. But for your information, I’m not going to make it easy.” So bottom line is, God help those whom are willing to help themselves.

So much so, all these while I’ve been trying to find shortcuts, of course not forgetting raw hard work; but sometimes the temptations of an easy way out is just too sweet. I guess I’ve really learnt a lesson that nothing can replace pure hard work to achieve what you’re out to get. Take time to knock in the foundation, efforts will not be wasted and spend lesser time thinking about how to get a quick fix.

For pot, peace and china-nese

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home